History

 Select a date on our timeline to view details:

1929

Gough, Gough & Hamer Limited was founded by Edger C. Gough, Harry H. Hamer and Tracy T. Gough. The company initially dealt in electrical goods.

1932

Gough, Gough & Hamer Ltd. secured the Caterpillar franchise from A. S. Paterson Ltd.

1938

Gough, Gough & Hamer Ltd. won the Export Sales award for being the world sales leader for non-USA Caterpillar dealers. Also, the then Minister of Works, Bob Semple, drove a Caterpillar RD8 tractor over a wheelbarrow, crushing it to reinforce his government's pledge to "do away with the wheelbarrow." A broken handle of the wheelbarrow remains at head office today.

1945

The company gains the Hyster lift truck dealership.

1948

Gough, Gough & Hamer Ltd. gained the John Deere agricultural tractor and farm machinery franchise.

1958

On-site servicing of Caterpillar equipment was started for both the New Zealand and United States Antarctic Programmes.

1960s

Gough, Gough & Hamer developed the first nationwide computerized distribution network in Australisia.

1960-64

D8 and D9 track-type tractors and DW21 Scrapers supplied to the Benmore Dam project.

1973

The first Scheduled Oil Sampling laboratory in Australasia was set up to identify abnormal mechanical wear from oil samples.

1974

Head Office was moved from the center of Christchurch to Hornby.

1975

A deal was signed to supply eight excavators, three D7 track-type tractors and three 955 traxcavators to the main contractors installing the Maui Natural Gas pipeline.

1986

MONARC, a totally integrated on-line, realtime computer system was installed on the company's mainframe.

1992

Gough Holdings Ltd acquires TWL, Transpecs and Reyco Australia (rebranded HDTE).

1998

The MONARC computer system was phased out and replaced with Caterpillar's all-encompassing Dealer Business System (DBS).

1999

The Caterpillar business unit of Gough, Gough & Hamer simplified its trading name to Goughs, and changed its logo.

1999

Gough Holdings Ltd acquires Westinghouse Air Brake Systems (Australia).

2001

HDTE and Westinghouse Air Brake Systems merged.

2002

Mining company GRD Macraes signs a $180 million contract with Goughs to supply Caterpillar equipment, parts and services to its Macraes Flat gold mine in Otago. The order is the largest single order ever placed with Goughs, with the initial order for approximately NZ$73 million of equipment, with the balance over the next seven years.

2002

Appointed the authorised New Zealand dealer for the Bitelli range of paving equipment.

2004

Successfully achieve DBSi production status in April 2004. The dealership is the fifth dealer in the Asia-Pacific region and sixteenth Caterpillar dealership worldwide using DBSi.  
Goughs signs a preferred supplier agreement with Works Infrastructure which sees Works commence major investment in new Caterpillar machinery.

2005

Australian Tipping Services (ATS) acquired.

2006

Goughs Power Systems is launched as a separate division to recognize the growing potential in the marine and power generation markets.

2007

Goughs celebrates 75 years as the New Zealand Caterpillar dealer.

2007

ATS and HDTE merged to become Gough Transport Solutions.

2007

Palfinger New Zealand split away from Transpecs as a focused trading entity.

2010

In the two biggest sales in its 81-year history, Goughs supplys 95 pieces of Caterpillar machinery, worth $120 million, to Solid Energy’s Stockton opencast coking coal mine north of Westport.

2010

Appointed the Haulmax dealer for New Zealand. Haulmax, an Australian manufacturer, designs and builds haulage trucks for the mining industry.

2010

Palfinger Australia acquired, propelling the Gough Group into the top 10 dealers globally.

2011

Goughs, in association with Caterpillar becomes the exclusive global sponsor of the Crusaders rugby franchise in a three-year deal that brings together two of the world’s leading brands in their respective fields.